Author: smellems Published At: 2011-01-19 14:30 (74565 Reads)
In 2005, Statistics Canada conducted a survey of electronic commerce and technology. It was the first time that data on the use and development of open source software were collected. The results were published in the Innovation Analysis Bulletin in 2006. (1) The use of open source software was already a trend that was increasing.
UseThe % of companies who responded using open source software in 2005.
- Private sector : 10%
- Public sector : 52%
- Small : 9%
- Medium : 16%
- Large : 37%
Industry SectorsThe % of companies who responded using open source software in 2005.
- Information and cultural : 37%
- Public services and education : 22%
- Professional, scientific and technical services : 20%
Companies in these sectors are already heavy users of information technology and are more willing to assess the benefits that can come with open source software.
Only 2% of companies responded that they were developing open source software in 2005.
- Information and cultural sector : 13%
- Large companies : 9%
- Public sector : 15%
In conclusion, the author expects an increase in the use and development as organizations report their use of free software and realize the benefits they offer. In 2011, the federal and provincial governments are giving more and more space to open source software. This fosters trust for open source software.
(1) Mark Uhrbach (2006). Pockets of Canadian organizations look to open-source solutions. Innovation Analysis Bulletin, Statistics Canada. vol.8, no.2. Internet
Contact us for more information
- smellems: Open Source: From great technology to greater intelligence, cost control and innovation http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/26362-open-source-from-great-technology-to-greater-intelligence… via @Real_Business
- smellems: Critères pour choisir parmi tous les logiciels libres. RT: @laurent556 Oui au logiciel libre… mais lequel choisir? http://lnkd.in/dHpUBft
- smellems: How Are Governments Adopting and Benefiting From #OpenSource? http://hub.am/1q5acTU
- smellems: #Logiciellibre et sécurité, une combinaison gagnante. http://bit.ly/1nAPRYU
- smellems: Une belle présentation sur les critères de la gratuité du logiciel libre. Bel article sur la situation au Québec http://ow.ly/u7a3M
- smellems: Regards croisés sur le #logiciellibre au #Québec et en #France : http://www.adjectif.net/spip/spip.php?article264…
- smellems: La ville de Munich complète la transition vers les logiciels libres. 15 000 postes de travail #Linux, fichiers #ODF. http://www.cio.co.uk/news/change-management/munich-open-source-completed-successfully/…